Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"Lucy" Bennett ~ Our First "Family" Dog















Lucy enjoying some much needed rest after blazing new trails on Rainy Lake, Ontario, Canada.

When I was growing up, like most kids living in Manahttan, I really wanted a puppy. Unfortunately, I was faced with allergies, to dogs, cats, horses, mold and other symptoms that I cannot recall. My parents didn't want the responsibility of walking the dog when I would be in school, plus picking up after the pooch.


After begging Christmas after Christmas, there was still no puppy under the tree. So I had give up my requests of getting a dog. While continuing my education and finding employment after graduation from college, my sister called me asking, "What do you think about getting Dad a dog for his 60th Birthday?" Of course my reaction was DEFINITELY!!! After a few weeks, my Sister & Dad were speaking with each other, not knowing that my Dad wanted a Daschund. My Sister proceeded to investigate the Daschund Breed and to locate where Reputable Kennels are in the Tri-State area.

Within another week or so, my Sister & Dad went to visit a Daschund Breeder in upstate New York, near the town of Catskill, south of Albany. My Sister called me a week later, asking if I wanted to pick up the puppy at a Dog Show at a Community College. I was so excited to pick up the puppy, of course the next phase was naming the cute little dog.  There were only two names in the running, "Saphie"( from the British TV Show, "Absolutely Fabulous", which was my Mothers favorite show) or "Lucy". After some major brainstorming on the drive up, which we all decided to call her "Lucy".

My Mother was away at the time, and I knew she was thinking to herself, David, becareful of your allergies. After picking up "Lucy", the drive home was so much fun, she would eat diced carrots and have an occasional nap on the NY State Thruway. Once "Lucy" arrived home, she was a small bundle of joy and like most dogs started to investigate her new surroundings.  Both my Sister and I didn't want to leave, we wanted to play all night with my Dads Birthday present.

Well, after so many years later, "Lucy" has is still going strong at the age of 13 years old. She has the most fun going to an island just over the Minnesota border on a lake in Canada.  She will immediately find a rock, much bigger then her mouth, drag and roll it down to the tiny beach.  Dig a hole, roll the rock into the hole, then dig it out again. This can last for about an hour, but not before the top of her nose becomes a little bloody from the rough edges of the rock.

"Lucy" has always been a city dog, but she does like a little adventure in her life. The next set of pics was taken during my Dads 70th Birthday, while being a co-pilot of a Glider Plane (Dad, being the co-pilot in the front seat).


No comments:

Post a Comment