Wednesday, August 31, 2011

The Goose Is Loose!!!!











































Lets call you Gertrude!  Now here's something you don't see every day, well in my case I do.  For the last couple of days, "Gertrude" here has been wandering around Brooklyn Bridge Park.  The only logical explanation is that "Irene", blew her off course and separated her from the rest of the flock, assuming heading south.

When Maisy first caught a glimpse of "Gertrude", she didn't know what to make of it.  Maisys' deductive reasoning: Well, it's too big to be a pigeon, the neck is too long to be a cat, can I eat this new creature that walks away from me?  Each time Maisy and I take a stroll to the park, "Gertrude" is there leaving her unmistakable droppings on the lawn and walkway paths, in any case, Maisy loves to chase the winged bird we call Gertrude.

This morning, sure enough, "Gertrude" was there eating the grass and Maisy wanted another stab at "Gertrude" trying to see if she can catch it.   Maisy wasn't the only one eyeing "Gertrude", both a Yorkie and a Pug had it sights set on catching the bird, unfortunately these dogs had a huge disadvantage, they don't own a pair of wings!!!  Being a modern-Brooklyn citizen that I am, I went looking for a member of the NYC Parks Dept.  A woman working for the Dept., who usually stands guard, watching the goings on, was not around to be notified of the new tenant to the park. 

When I arrived home, I started to figure out, who should I call to notify that the bird may be injured, etc....  I went ahead and called The Humane Society of New York.  They directed me to The Department of Enviromental Conservation, where I had to leave a message, a few minutes later, I received a call, the woman on the other line said that, there shouldn't be any concern regarding the goose, he/she will find its way back.  So I guess you can say, I was a little relieved.  Plus, Maisy will get another crack at catching "Gertrude".

No comments:

Post a Comment